Accreditation Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Accreditation Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: Are all holistic health credentials the same? 

A. No. The accreditation and approvals held by an institution and its programs affect what you can do with your training, including whether you can use that credential on a resume, gain insurance, or qualify for industry approvals or registration examinations. For example, if you graduate from a school that is not accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting body, the Oregon Office of Degree Authorization would not accept your training, and you could not be hired for a position at ACHS. In fact, in Oregon and some other states that enforce education fraud, if you try to use a degree from a diploma mill, you can face criminal liability. Some students unwittingly enroll at diploma mill schools and do not discover this until they have wasted their time and money. 

Q. Is DEAC accreditation equal to “regional” accreditation?
A. In every measurable way, yes! DEAC accreditation is just as valid as any regional accreditation. DEAC is listed by the U.S. Department of Education (since 1959) as a nationally recognized accrediting agency and a recognized member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) (since 1975). DEAC meets precisely the same standards as do the regionals, and has vastly more experience and tougher, more stringent standards for distance learning than any other agency in the U.S. Distance learning is DEAC's only business. 

Click here to view a letter from the U.S. Department of Education certifying DEAC's Recognition.

Q: If a school says its accredited, is that enough? Surely if it wasn't true they would be held liable? 

A. No. Sadly some schools mislead students about the validity of their accreditation. Don't be misled by claims of  "accreditation" by organizations such as the American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP) or the American Naturopathic Medical Accreditation Board (ANMAB), who are not approved accrediting bodies. Qualifications from a school or college that claim accreditation from these organizations will make it difficult to transfer credits to other USDOE accredited colleges.

Q: How Can I Find Out if An Instutition is a Diploma Mill?

A: The Oregon Department of Education website provides information on national diploma mills and schools offering unauthorized degrees. We suggest you spend time reading through this information before you invest in your holistic health education. Read online here.

Q: If a school  has quality certification, isn't that the same thing?

A: No. Don't be misled by claims of Quality Certification by organizations such as the U.S. Distance Learning Association (USDLA). 

Q. Will the credits I receive from ACHS, as a DEAC-accredited institution, be accepted by a traditional college or university?

A. It depends. Acceptance of degrees or credits from DEAC-accredited institutions is largely determined by the policy of the "receiving organization," e.g., an employer, a college registrar, etc. DEAC accreditation is not a guarantee that credit will transfer to any college or university. You should always check with the college or university that you wish to transfer your credits to before you enroll in a course. DEAC's 2006 survey of DEAC graduates showed that of those who attempted to transfer credits and degrees, 70% were successful. 

Q: Does the Army view national and regional accreditation the same for purposes of tuition assistance and recognition of training?

A: The short answer is yes. View this information paper about accreditation from Dr. Pamela Raymer, the Director of  Army ACES in Fort Knox, online here.

We encourage you to explore additional FAQs from the Distance Education Accrediting Commission website at