Herb 304 continues the study of herbal Materia Medica, studying each botanical in depth, including its therapeutic actions, active constituents, methods of administration, cautions and contraindications, and current research. Botanicals include: fennel Foeniculum vulgare, sorrel Rumex acetosa, sweet basil Ocimum basilicum, watercress Nasturtium officinale, feverfew Chrysanthemum parthenium, shepherds purse Capsella bursa-pastoris, and rosemary Rosmarinus officinalis.
Upon successful completion of this course, each student will be able to:
- Name the botanical and family name of the botanicals studied.
- Discuss the primary uses of the botanicals studied.
- Describe the botanical identifying characteristics of the botanicals studied.
- Discuss dosage and administration including duration of the botanicals studied.
- Explain the pharmacological action of the botanicals studied
- Discuss the contraindications of the botanicals studied.
- Identify and describe adverse effects, including possible drug and supplement interactions, of the botanicals studied.
- Recall the regulatory status of the botanicals studied.
Maximum Enrollment: 30 students
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials (or Course Pack) cost—including standard shipping within the United States—is $432.75. This includes:
- ACHS eTextbook: Petersen, D. (2015). HERB 304: Herbal Materia Medica III.
Portland, OR: American College of Healthcare Sciences. - $125
(Optional: Printed copy available for an additional $101)
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR) - $99
- HERB 304 Herb Kit - $171.42
- ACHS Double-Walled Glass Tea Tumbler - $7.33
The Required Publisher Textbook*:
- Gaby, A. (2006). A-Z Guide to Drug-Herb-Vitamin Interactions. (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Three Rivers Press. ISBN# 9780307336644 $23
Total Course Price: $975 (3 credits x $325 per credit) + $432.75 Course Pack + $23 Textbook = $1430.75
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
* You may always elect to buy or rent your textbooks/ebooks new or used. However, when choosing to purchase college textbooks and supplementary materials outside the College store, please use caution to ensure you purchase the correct version of required materials.
- Expert faculty with real-world clinical experience in each course
- All instruction and evaluation, including weekly interaction with your instructor through the online classroom, live teleconferences and/or chats, email, and the Instructor’s Virtual Office
- Dynamic online lectures updated regularly to include the latest evidence-based research and industry updates
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online.