This course provides undergraduate students with foundational wellness coaching skills and knowledge, which are applied in real-world situations commonly encountered in various healthcare environments.
Students will be exposed to contemporary models of wellness coaching, as well as specific application of these principles in holistic health scenarios. Students will observe and practice application of wellness coaching skills to assist clients who require lifestyle and nutritional counseling.
The course work develops key competencies, which enable students to carefully build an interactive, collaborative conversation that encourages growth and progress toward improved quality of life.
Aptitudes acquired in this course will facilitate health promotion initiatives for clinical, organizational, industrial, and public health settings. This course provides an understanding and practice of general coaching principles such as core coaching competencies, and readiness for change. This course incorporates contemporary theories of change, which increase the likelihood of clients making lasting lifestyle improvements.
Students will prepare to assess client needs and provide culturally appropriate wellness coaching, as well as customized encouragement to adopt healthy lifestyles. The course requires recorded wellness coaching sessions.
Upon successful completion of this course, each student will be able to:
- Describe the history and definitions of health coaches, including credentialing
- Explain and follow applicable Ethical Guidelines and Professional Standards
- Describe the basic philosophy, tools, and methods used by health coaches
- Distinguish between coaching, consulting, psychotherapy and other support professions
- Establish the Coaching Agreement as defined by the International Coach Federation
- Identify appropriate health assessment tools used in health coaching
- Apply the concepts of Behavioral Change Models to health coaching
- Establish trust and intimacy with the client by creating a safe, supportive environment that produces ongoing mutual respect and trust
- Demonstrate effective communication techniques using active listening, powerful questioning and direct communication, and motivational interviewing techniques
- Conduct recorded face-to-face or telephone health coaching sessions and have them evaluated by his or her peers
- Develop and maintain an effective coaching plan with a mock client, applying principles of wellness through therapeutic lifestyle changes
- Facilitate learning and results by creating awareness, designing actions, planning and goal setting
- Manage progress and accountability
- Evaluate the effectiveness of a health coaching program
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials (or Course Pack) cost—including standard shipping to the continental United States—is $107. This includes:
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR) - $99
The Required Publisher Textbooks*:
- Arloski, M. (2014). Wellness Coaching for Lasting Lifestyle Change (2nd ed.). Duluth, MN: Whole Person Associates, Inc. ISBN: 9781570253218 $29.95
- Rollnick, S., Miller, W., & Butler, C. (2007). Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior. New York, NY: Guilford Press. ISBN: 9781593856120** $35.00
Total Course Price: $975 (3 credits x $325 per credit) + $107 Course Pack + $64.95 Required Textbooks = $1146.95
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
* You may always elect to buy or rent your textbooks/ebooks new or used. However, when choosing to purchase college textbooks and supplementary materials outside the College store, please use caution to ensure you purchase the correct version of required materials.
** This textbook is also available as a Kindle eBook from amazon.com.
- Expert faculty with real-world clinical experience in each course
- All instruction and evaluation, including weekly interaction with your instructor through the online classroom, live teleconferences and/or chats, email, and the Instructor’s Virtual Office
- Dynamic online lectures updated regularly to include the latest evidence-based research and industry updates
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online.
Click here to view the Recommended Reading for this course.
Last updated 06/10/16