This course covers many of the same topics as traditional nutrition courses, such as carbohydrates, fats and proteins, fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins, minerals, life cycle nutrition and the food pyramid, but with a holistic and integrative view.
It is also a fundamental course for understanding how to promote wellness through holistic nutrition consulting. For a more detailed course on Consulting, consider Nat 306 Holistic Health Consulting and Business Skills.
Holistic module topics include: rejuvenation, phytochemicals, herbs in cooking, acid-alkaline theory, food combining, raw foods, elimination and juice therapy, nutrition for seniors, holistic weight management, organic food & gardening, and various diets in the news.
The basic information on macro and micronutrients, and life cycle nutrition will be intentionally reviewed, but in greater depth and with an integrative view in Nat 308.
Upon successful completion of this course, each student will be able to:
- Identify the fundamentals of nutrition
- Recommend holistic nutrition for optimal health, including herbs, vitamins, and minerals
- Identify external signs, including skin, hair, tongue, nails, and facial signs, to assess health, along with potential problem areas
- Explain Dietary Recommended Intakes for vitamins and minerals and explain how to choose optimal quality supplements
- Identify issues of concern or contraindications for commonly used supplements
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials cost (Course Pack)—including standard shipping within the United States—is $251.31. This includes:
- ACHS eTextbook: Petersen, D. (2015). NAT 308: Holistic Nutrition. Portland, OR: American College of Healthcare Sciences. - $125
(Optional: Printed copy available for an additional $101)
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR) - $99
- Sprouting Kit:
The Required Publisher Textbooks*:
- Mateljan, G. (2016). The World's Healthiest Foods (2nd ed.). Seattle, WA: GMF Publishing. ISBN# 9780976918516 $39.95
Total Course Price: $975 (3 credits x $325 per credit) + $251.31 Course Pack + $39.95 Textbook = $1266.26
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
*You may always elect to buy or rent your textbooks/ebooks new or used. However, when choosing to purchase college textbooks and supplementary materials outside the College store, please use caution to ensure you purchase the correct version of required materials.
- Expert faculty with real-world clinical experience in each course
- All instruction and evaluation, including weekly interaction with your instructor through the online classroom, live teleconferences and/or chats, email, and the Instructor’s Virtual Office
- Dynamic online lectures updated regularly to include the latest evidence-based research and industry updates
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online.