PFT 101 Personal Fitness Training is based on the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) training model. In this course, you will study a systematic approach to program design with exercise program guidelines and variables; protocols for building stabilization, strength, and power programs. You will learn how to conduct individualized assessments, and design safe, effective and individualized exercise and conditioning programs which are scientifically valid and based on clinical evidence to clients with no medical or special needs.
This course is designed to prepare students to sit the NASM Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) exam. The CPT exam requires that students also have a CPR/AED certification. CPR/AED certifications are accepted from the American Heart Association, American Red Cross, American Safety and Health Institute, St. John Ambulance, Emergency Care & Safety Institute or Emergency Medical Technician. Before taking the CPR/AED from another provider, please contact NASM to confirm acceptance. Learn more online at https://www.nasm.org/certified-personal-trainer/personal-trainer-exam.
Maximum Enrollment: 30 students
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials cost (Course Pack)—including standard shipping within the United States—is $144.65. This includes:
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR) $99
- Lab Kit $25.65
Textbooks and Media
- Clark, M., Sutton, B., & Lucett, S. (2017). NASM essentials of personal fitness training (5th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning. ISBN: 9781284113099 $88.95
Total Course Price: $975 (3 credits x $325 per credit) + $119 Course Pack + $88.95 Textbooks = $1,182.95
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
* You may always elect to buy or rent your textbooks/ebooks new or used. However, when choosing to purchase college textbooks and supplementary materials outside the College store, please use caution to ensure you purchase the correct version of required materials.
- Expert faculty with real-world professional experience in each course
- All instruction and evaluation, including weekly interaction with your instructor through the online classroom, live teleconferences and/or chats, email, and the Instructor’s Virtual Office
- Dynamic online lectures updated regularly to include the latest evidence-based research and industry updates
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online.
Optional Recommended Reading
Click here to view the Recommended Reading for this course.
Last updated 03/09/17
 Information listed as published on the NASM website on 11/30/16. Please refer to https://www.nasm.org/certified-personal-trainer/personal-trainer-exam or contact NASM directly for more information about exam eligibility and requirements.