The American College of Healthcare Sciences is proud to host a Master Lecture webinar series, available free of charge to ACHS current students, graduates, and the public!
Each webinar lecture will feature an expert in the holistic health field from the ACHS faculty. The webinars will be hosted once a month and will focus on a current topic within the holistic health and wellness industry, previous topics include natural asthma support, cooking for health, and hot trends in aromatherapy.
ACHS is also offering a brand new platform to receive Continuing Education Credits. The new CE courses deliver quality content and CE credits easily, quickly, and inexpensively to industry professionals and wellness advocates like yourself.
You can find the full current list of ACHS Master Lecture Webinars from our Course Explorer (pictured here). Additionally, you can find details of several of the webinars outlined further below.
Iridology: An Introduction with Betty Sue O'Brian, N.D., MS, CII
This ACHS Master Lecture webinar is presented by herbalist, naturopath, and former President of the International Iridology Practitioners Association Betty Sue O'Brian. Iridology is the holistic practice of examining the iris to determine health and wellness. If you've ever wondered what iridology is all about, this webinar is for you!
In this webinar, Betty Sue will address the questions:
- What is iridology?
- What is sclerology?
- What can one tell by using either?
- What are the major constitutional types of iris color?
- What are some structural signs one might observe when looking at the iris?
- Why does a holistic practitioner need to know iridology?
The Pantry Principle with Mira Dessy, CNE
Get ready for a kitchen cupboard overhaul because this webinar will walk you through the essentials to a holistically healthy pantry.
In this webinar, The Pantry Principle, you'll learn about...
- Food myths and interesting ingredient facts
- Why what's IN your food matters
- Health risks of food additives
- The FDA Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) list
- Known food contaminants (antibiotics, salmonella, etc.)
Herbs: Medicinal, Magical, Marvelous! with Deborah "DJ" Martin
Herbs: Medicinal, Magical, Marvelous! is an introduction to the use of herbs in both medicinal and magical contexts. Speaking in plain language, yet touching on the scientific, Deborah Martin gives theories as well as practical applications to help the beginner along his or her path of herbal exploration.
- How to use herbs safely at home
- Recipes for several easy yet useful preparations for both medicinal and magical use
- Specific information on five herbs you probably already have
Deborah "DJ" Martin is an ACHS graduate and author of three books:
- Baneful! 95 of the World's Worst Herbs
- A Green Witch’s Formulary (recommended reading for ACHS class HERB 302)
- Herbs: Medicinal, Magical, Marvelous!
Discovering Essential Oils As Biopesticides
This is a research-based lecture on the powers of essential oils as biopesticides presented by Nurhayat Tabanca, a natural products research scientist from the University of Mississippi's National Center for Natural Products Research.
In this free ACHS webinar, you'll learn about:
- Fungicidal and insecticidal properties of essential oils
- How increased resistance to commercially available pesticides has led to a focus on natural pesticides
- The advantages of natural products/pesticides: how they target new modes of action with low toxicity to mammals and decompose rapidly to reduce environmental risk
- The importance of material sources and GC/MS analysis
Off the Grid for Holistic Health: Reality Show Star & ACHS Student Tells All
In this free ACHS webinar, you will hear from ACHS student Tina Wallace––a featured personality on TLC's program, Risking It All. On the show, Tina leads her family (known as the Elliotts) nearly 2,000 miles away from their home in Kansas to live off the grid in Oregon for a more natural, healthful life.
In this talk, you'll learn:
- All about Tina's experience living off the grid and filming TLC's Risking It All
- What motivated Tina to make such an extreme change for her health
- Why you shouldn't let your weaknesses define you
- How you can be your best health advocate and take charge of your life
Are Your Genes Depressing You? MTHFR and Your Mood
In this free ACHS webinar, you will learn and develop an understanding of:
- The MTHFR gene and methylation
- How mood and psychological disorders can be connected to MTHFR and methylation
- MTHFR and B vitamins as cofactors for mood regulation
- How MTHFR effects the BH4 cycle with serotonin and dopamine production and degradation
Creating a Holistic Medicine Kit with Dr. Jerry Cronin
In this free ACHS Master Lecture webinar, you will learn:
- What you need in a holistic medicine kit
- How to prepare for unexpected injuries
- Which herbs and remedies to keep on hand at the house and on the go
Recognizing Medical Emergencies in Adults and Children
In this free ACHS Master Lecture webinar, you will learn:
- Assessing abdominal complaints
- Identifying a child in distress
- Differentiating respiratory and cardiac emergencies
- Handling trauma & fractures
- Dangerous headaches, strokes, and seizures
Expert Panel: Careers in Yoga and CAM
In this ACHS webinar featuring ACHS MS in CAM students and professional yogis, you will learn:
- How these professionals use their ACHS education to develop successful careers in yoga and CAM.
- Different holistic health modalities that complement yoga.
- How the yoga and CAM industries have grown, developed, and changed over the years.
Meet our Expert Panel from the ACHS MS in CAM program:
- JJ Gormley-Etchells: Experienced-Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT-500) who has been practicing yoga since 1979
- Jessica Fruth: Experienced-Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT-200) and a Client Systems Operator for the U.S. Air Force Reserves with an MS in Exercise Science
- Jeri O'Dowd: Experienced-Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT-200), Registered Nurse, and Gentle Yoga Teacher
Essential Oils and Human Physiology: An Introduction to Clinical Aromatherapy
In this interactive* webinar recording presented by ACHS faculty Amanda Lattin, you will learn:
- Plant biochemical synthesis of essential oils
- Phytochemistry and mechanisms of action for commonly used essential oils
- Scientific research on essential oils as anxiolytics and anti-MRSA agents
- Precautions, contraindications, and quality control
- New research from the 2014 International Symposium on Essential Oils (ISEO)
*This webinar is interactive and will include prompts to participate by inhaling cinnamon Cinnamomum zeylanicum (Blume) and basil Ocimum basilicum (L.) essential oils. If you have these oils in your personal essential oil kit, have them at the ready during the webinar.
Homeopathy Basics with Dr. Noska
Intrigued by homeopathy and want to learn more? Get your feet wet learning about the benefits of this holistic health modality and how it works. In this free Master Lecture Webinar with ACHS faculty member Dr. Nolan Noska
You will learn...
- About biotherapeutic drainage and how it's different from homeopathy
- How natural therapeutics come into play
- How the toxic environment responds to homeopathic remedies
How to Write a Literature Review Like a Pro
n this ACHS Master Lecture webinar, How to Write a Literature Review Like a Pro you’ll learn:
- How to choose a topic for your literature review
- How to decide on the correct literature to include
- How to analyze the literature
- Methods to summarize and synthesize the information
3 Steps to Double Your Client Base Quickly Through Speaking
In this ACHS webinar, you will learn how to build your client base through public speaking.
- Why so many nutritionists, aromatherapists, and herbalists have trouble getting people to show up for their talks (and what to do instead to fill up your talks)
- How to use speaking to easily double or triple your client base, without doing a lot of marketing
- How to create your talk that you can count on to get a bunch of clients...all without being salesy
- Insider secrets to getting seen as a go-to expert in your community quickly
Homeopathy: A Carrot, Not A Stick
When discussing homeopathy, it's not uncommon to hear the question: How does it work?
Homeopath Dr. Tim Dooley will be joining us for a free ACHS Master Lecture Webinar to discuss homeopathy, how it works, and why it is an effective alternative healing modality.
You will learn:
- The basics of homeopathy
- How homeopaths choose remedies that stimulate the body's natural healing capacity
- The distinctions between acute vs. chronic when using homeopathy
Holistic Nutrition: Fasting and Elimination Therapy
In this Master Lecture webinar video, you will learn:
- How an elimination diet can help address many common allergies
- Some of the illnesses and symptoms that the elimination diet helps
- Practical hints and suggestions for planning your own elimination diet
- Food do’s and don’ts
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Holistic Wellness as a Path to a More Balanced Life
The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs has named June PTSD Awareness Month. To help raise awareness of this isolating disorder, ACHS is hosting a free webinar presented by ACHS alumnus Tim Grutzius.
In this webinar, you will learn to:
- Distinguish the difference between an acute versus chronic stress reaction (such as PTSD)
- Define and list the causes of PTSD
- Distinguish between the three types of PTSD symptoms as outlined by the National Institute of Mental Health
- Learn about holistic protocols that may prove useful in supporting the body systems of a person suffering from PTSD
The Ultimate Essentials of Essential Oil Safety
Working with essential oils is a wonderful and natural way to promote personal health and wellness--and they can smell fantastic! However, essential oils are highly concentrated and must always be used with care and caution.
In this essential oil safety webinar, you will learn:
- 4 tips to avoid adverse reactions
- Irritation vs. sensitization
- Methods of administration safety (internal and external)
- Phototoxicity vs. photosensitivity
- Drug interactions and contraindications
- Pregnancy and breast feeding
- First aid and toxicity
Harnessing the Herbal Powers of Essential Oils with Dorene Petersen
In this Master Lecture webinar, Dorene Petersen, President and Founder of the American College of Healthcare Sciences celebrates HerbDay by presenting a free webinar, Harnessing the Herbal Powers of Essential Oils.
Most of us want to keep up with what’s “hot” in the herbal medicine and essential oil industries:
- What are the notable biological actions backed by research of the top 10 most popular essential oils?
- Do they really work?
- How can we be more aware of labeling compliance and misleading marketing terms?
Safety and Dosage Guidelines in Herbal Medicine with Scott Stuart
This webinar, presented by ACHS faculty member Scott Stuart, explores topics such as:
- Knowing your source
- The importance of Latin names
- Distinguishing between look-alike and sound-alike herbs
- Different plant parts, allergies, herbal actions, & appropriate use
- Herb/drug and herb/herb interactions as they relate to safety
- Standard herb dosage & herb dose for children
- Acute verses chronic conditions
- General herb categories
- and much more!
Flower Essences What They Are and How Can They Help Catrina Mianecki
This Master Lecture--presented by ACHS faculty member, Catrina Mianecki--reviews the history of the Bach Flower essences and how Dr. Bach devised and produced the flower essence system.
It will also go over the work of the Flower Essence Society (FES) and some their main remedies. We will go on to discuss a few of the major flower essences both from Bach’s and the FES product line that can be very helpful to keep on-hand in ones holistic medicine cabinet.
What's Hot and What's Not 2013-14 U.S. Trends in Aromatherapy
In this Master Lecture webinar, Dorene Petersen, President and Founder of the American College of Healthcare Sciences presented the results of her research into the professional and retail aromatherapy sector of the essential oil industry in the United States. There was a brief overview of 2014 aromatherapy trends plus insights into essential oil such as:
Additionally, we reviewed the top 10 essential oils currently being used by American Professional Aromatherapists compared to the top 20 oils identified in the aromatherapy natural channel segment, as well as some significant notable biological activity supported by a research review for a selection of these oils.
Cooking for Health with Dr. Mary Fry
This presentation will look at the following items from our Module 11 in Nat 308:
- Ancestral Diets
- Herbs in Cooking
- Menu-Planning and Meal Preparation
- Tips to Optimize Digestion
- Nutrient Bioavailability
Come prepared to share your favorite recipes and tips during the post-presentation discussion and question period. This will largely cover the first module objective, but will also touch on other objectives in this module and in some of the other modules in the course.
Better Breathing the Natural Way: Support for Clients with Asthma, Emphysema, or Chronic Bronchitis!
Presented by ACHS faculty member Deryl Gulliford
Chronic lung diseases such as asthma, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis constitute a major public health challenge in the United States today. The prevalence of such diseases has risen significantly over recent decades.
In this presentation, we address:
- The pathophysiology of chronic lung disorders
- Epidemiological trends in our nation
- Natural approaches to supporting clients who suffer from such conditions
- We will consider opportunities for improving health, in spite of respiratory disease, through nutrition, supplementation, exercise, immunity, environment, and other approaches