This course develops students’ written communication skills with emphasis on understanding the writing process, analyzing readings, and practicing writing for personal and professional applications.
Upon successful completion of this course, each student will be able to:
- Apply the steps of the writing process.
- Identify essay components.
- Write effective and grammatically correct paragraphs.
- Analyze the role of reading and writing in your academic and professional career.
- Write effective and grammatically correct essays.
- Apply strategies to achieve clarity and effective style in writing.
- Differentiate between the writing pattern types.
- Identify sentence types, parts of a sentence, and patterns.
- Discriminate between proper and improper use of punctuation in writing.
- Apply the proper use of punctuation in writing.
- Apply the proper use of spelling in writing.
- Write an effective and grammatically correct description or definition paper.
Maximum Enrollment: 30 students
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials (or Course Pack) cost—including standard shipping within the United States—is $119. This includes:
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR) - $99
The Required Publisher Textbook*:
- Arlov, P. (2016). Wordsmith: A Guide to College Writing (6th ed.). Boston: Pearson. ISBN: 9780321974174 $121.20
Total Course Price: $975 (3 credits x $325 per credit) + $119 Course Pack + $121.20 Textbook = $1215.20
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
* You may always elect to buy or rent your textbooks/ebooks new or used. However, when choosing to purchase college textbooks and supplementary materials outside the College store, please use caution to ensure you purchase the correct version of required materials.
- Expert faculty with real-world clinical experience in each course
- All instruction and evaluation, including weekly interaction with your instructor through the online classroom, live teleconferences and/or chats, email, and the Instructor’s Virtual Office
- Dynamic online lectures updated regularly to include the latest evidence-based research and industry updates
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online.
Click here to view the Recommended Reading for this course.
Last updated 06/10/16