This course introduces students to the basic concepts of nutrition and gives them tools for healthy eating. Topics covered include carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals, life cycle needs, and diets for athletes.
Individual dietary habits will be closely examined through a self-evaluation of personal diet studies. This course provides important basic knowledge in making personal dietary decisions. This course also emphasizes food safety and explores the reasons for hunger at home and abroad. Additional Module topics: Tools for healthy eating, the basics of digestion, weight management.
Upon successful completion of this course, each student will be able to:
- Summarize the concept of nutrition and construct healthy eating habits
- Recall the basics of digestion
- Define and explain carbohydrates, fats, and proteins and their components
- Identify the importance of vitamins, minerals, and water in the diet
- Identify the principles of weight management and apply nutrition concepts to fitness
- Differentiate nutrition for the life cycle and be able to apply food safety techniques in the home
Maximum Enrollment: 30 students
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials (or Course Pack) cost—including standard shipping within the United States—is $119. This includes:
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR) - $99
The Required Publisher Textbooks*:
- Junger, A., MD. (2012). Clean. New York: Harper One. ISBN: 9780062201669** $16.99
- Thompson, J. & Manore, M. (2015). Nutrition: An Applied Approach. (4th ed.). Boston: Pearson. ISBN: 9780321908742** (with MyPlate & MyDietAnalysis) $173.60
Total Course Price: $975 (3 credits x $325 per credit) + $119 Course Pack + $190.59 Textbooks = $1284.59
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
* You may always elect to buy or rent your textbooks/ebooks new or used. However, when choosing to purchase college textbooks and supplementary materials outside the College store, please use caution to ensure you purchase the correct version of required materials.
** This textbook is also available as a Kindle eBook from amazon.com.
- Expert faculty with real-world clinical experience in each course
- All instruction and evaluation, including weekly interaction with your instructor through the online classroom, live teleconferences and/or chats, email, and the Instructor’s Virtual Office
- Dynamic online lectures updated regularly to include the latest evidence-based research and industry updates
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online.