The mission of the Graduate Certificate in Wellness Coaching program is to prepare graduates with the skills, expertise, and understanding of coaching ethics and standards, and the ability to apply them appropriately in all coaching situations to empower people to take charge of their own health and create sustainable change. Graduates will have the knowledge and skills to provide clients, consumers, and the public with wellness lifestyle plans. These plans will assist clients, consumers, and the public to take an active role in their health and wellness and to integrate health and wellness protocols into their daily life to achieve optimal health and a better quality of life.
With the passing of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) in late 2010 and the National Prevention Strategy (NPS) in June 16, 2011 there is now a comprehensive plan in place at a federal level that will help increase the number of Americans who are healthy at every stage of life. With this US Government focus on prevention and wellness coupled with the need to reduce healthcare costs and an ageing population new opportunities are being created in the health care and health and wellness-related industries. American College of Healthcare Science’s Graduate Certificate in Wellness Coaching will prepare graduates to meet the demand for well trained professionals within the health and wellness-related industries specifically Wellness Coaching. Even Harvard Medical Schoolnow underwrites an annual conference on coaching’s role in healthcare with a focus on professional health and wellness coach services in anticipation of this demand.
Health and Wellness Coaching has become one of the fastest growing areas of healthcare. Health and Wellness professionas play an integral role in the health and wellness industry with growing demand for health educators and wellness coaches. In this program, you will explore various approaches to the core competencies of wellness coaching and study the concepts, values, and applications of this exciting new field of health science.
- Wellness Coach
- Health and Wellness Consultant, Educator , Writer, or Speaker
- Holistic Life Coach
- Lifestyle Coach or Consultant
- Health and Wellness Coach
- Health Care Industry Assistant - Day Spa, Holistic Retreat, Spa facility
- Administrative or support role in any company in the health care industry such as medical center, fitness or wellness center, private practice yoga studio, natural food store, restaurant or educational facility.
- Customer service role within the health care industry
- Sales associate role within the health care industry
- Medical Assistant, administrator, reception, or other support role in a licensed naturopathic clinic
The Graduate Certificate in Wellness Coaching program is also designed for:
- Medical professionals wishing to increase their knowledge of this exciting field and integrate it into a new or existing practice, including Medical Doctors, Psychologists, Pharmacists, Naturopaths, Nurses, Veterinarians, Respiratory Therapists, Mental Health Counselors, or Social Workers;
- Certified fitness instructors, personal trainers, public health professionals, and human resource specialists with a strong interest in health and wellness;
- Consumers looking to integrate holistic health and wellness principles into their life for personal health and well-being.
Specifically, graduates from the Graduate Certificate in Wellness Coaching program will be able to:
- Demonstrate an in-depth, advanced knowledge of holistic wellness practices
- Understand and maximize the science of behavior change to gain proficiency in designing personal wellness plans.
- Develop a solid knowledge of holistic wellness protcols and motivational behaviors and be able to apply that knowledge to assist clients, consumers, and the public to follow and maintain personalized wellness plans.
- Locate, analyze and evaluate, and make effective use of heath and wellness and coaching research from scientific literature.
- Serve in the role of advocate to provide guidance to policy makers, academic researchers, and industry leaders and manufacturers in the field of motivational holistic health behavioral plans.
- Discuss and describe the body's structure and function in a healthy state;
- Understand and identify the mechanical and biochemical changes caused by a variety of diseases or imbalances to be able to address system imbalances and provide education that individuals can use to restore wellness;
- Evaluate when to refer individuals to their licensed health care provider for diagnosis and treatment;
- Outline the steps to set up a business, including insurance, management, legal issues, ethics, keeping records, listening and observation skills, informed consent, marketing, business planning, and wellness counseling;
- Locate information from state regulatory bodies to ensure compliance with local and State requirements.
Candidates must possess a baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the US Department of Education. Candidates must submit official transcripts directly from the issuing institution along with one professional letter of recommendation. All applicants must be recommended for admission by the ACHS Admissions Committee.
Tuition and Fees:
To estimate the program tuition and fees, click on the required course name below for each Total Course Price.
The required course sequence for this program is published in the ACHS Program Catalog available to download online here.
 This certificate does not satisfy the requirements to become a CHES Health Educator.