Student Grievance Policy

Our goal is to treat everyone the way we like to be treated: Well! We're very proud of our high student satisfaction ratings (check out our current rates online here), and we like to think we're doing a good job. However, we're all human and mistakes can happen. Please never hesitate to call your academic advisor if you have questions or concerns. If necessary, he or she can connect you with the best person to discuss your issue, or present any special requests you may have to our Academic Standards Committee.

The Academic Standards Committee considers student petitions for exceptions to policies. Please keep in mind that as an accredited College, we are required to apply institutional rules consistently and fairly, and our records are audited annually. We're not trying to be difficult when we ask for documentation to put before our Academic Standards Committee - we need it to help you and ensure our continued compliance.  ACHS takes complaints very seriously and students are encouraged to attempt to resolve any issues with the appropriate ACHS Office before lodging a formal complaint. All ACHS departments may be reached at 800-487-8839.

To lodge a formal complaint, please complete the Official Student Complaint Form (click here to download) completely, sign it, and scan and email it to the appropriate department or mail it to the College at 5005 SW Macadam Avenue, Portland, Oregon, 97239. Complaints will be acknowledged within 30 days and investigated. Investigation may take several months. The conclusion to the complaint will be mailed.

Problem Resolution

ACHS is committed to providing the best possible conditions for its students. Part of this commitment is encouraging an open and frank atmosphere in which any problem, complaint, suggestion, or question receives a timely response from ACHS supervisors and management. ACHS strives to ensure fair and honest treatment of all students. Students, employees, and faculty are expected to treat each other with mutual respect. Students are encouraged to offer positive and constructive criticism.

If a student disagrees with the established rules of conduct, policies, or practices, they can express their concern through the problem resolution procedure. No student will be penalized, formally or informally, for voicing a complaint with ACHS in a reasonable, business-like manner, or for using the problem resolution procedure.

If a situation occurs where a student believes that a policy or a decision affecting them is unjust or inequitable, they are encouraged to make use of the following steps. The student may discontinue the procedure at any step.

STEP 1: Student presents problem to instructor. If instructor is unavailable or an ACHS staff member such as the student's academic advisor believes it would be inappropriate to contact that person, the student may present problem to the Academic Dean (email

STEP 2: Instructor or Academic Dean responds to problem, after consulting with appropriate management, when necessary. The discussion is documented and a solution reached. If the problem remains unresolved to the student's satisfaction, he or she may present the problem to the ACHS President (email

STEP 3: President counsels and advises student, assists in putting problem in writing, visits with student’s instructor(s) (if necessary), and directs student to Dean of Students or Professor.

We understand that not every problem can be resolved to everyone’s total satisfaction, but only through understanding and discussion of mutual problems can students, instructors and ACHS staff develop confidence in each other.  This confidence is important to the operation of an efficient and harmonious learning environment.

If this procedure fails, students may contact the Oregon Office of Degree Authorization of the Higher Education Coordinating Commission,  255 Capitol Street NE, 3rd Floor, Salem, OR 97301 or call 503-378-5690. Complaints to the Higher Education Coordinating Commission regarding Oregon degree-granting postsecondary institutions participating in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) may be also filed online here.

Out-of-state students can view a list of state office contacts online here.

Students may also contact the Distance Education Accrediting Commission, 1101 17th Street NW, Suite 808, Washington, DC 20036, (202) 234-5100,