Alumni Highlight: Helping Moms Break Free From Overindulging

Alison, also known as The Healthy Mom Coach, earned master’s degrees in both Health and Wellness and Holistic Nutrition before opening her own online coaching business in 2020.

Lifelong interest in holistic health

As someone who has always been interested in natural ways to overcome health issues, Alison says that she’s learned firsthand how important wellness is across the board and how mental, physical, and emotional wellness all work together to create overall wellness.

Alison seeks to understand the cause of an illness instead of just looking for a quick fix. “I think it’s so important to get to the root cause of an illness rather than putting a bandaid over it. I’m really passionate about all of that,” she says.

Discovering online education

After a friend recommended ACHS, Alison browsed the website and a few things stood out to her. “I felt that they have a diverse selection of degrees. And also the fact that they were a nationally accredited school was a big thing for me. And the fact that it’s all online, it made it totally accessible for me to attend,” she says.

As the mother of 3 boys, Alison appreciated the flexibility of online school. “My boys weren’t so little at the time, but still, just to be able to be at home really made a huge difference,” she says.

Years previously Alison received her undergraduate degree in dietetics due to her interest in nutrition, but ended up working in HR and didn’t get to use the degree. “Then I decided to leave because I was having twins,” she says. 

After that, Alison became a stay-at-home mom. “I ended up going back to school just a few years ago, which was something I never thought I would ever do,” she says.

Opening The Healthy Mom Coach

After graduating from ACHS in 2019, Alison opened The Healthy Mom Coach in 2020. “One of the classes that I took at ACHS was the health and wellness coaching course, and I really liked it and I really resonated with that. So I knew once I graduated that I wanted to go in that direction,” she says.

With first-hand experience struggling with overindulgence as a mother, Alison decided that she wanted to help other moms who were feeling the same way. “I overindulged in alcohol for over 25 years and I thought about what I wish I had when I decided to break free from it almost 3 years ago. I know how it feels to be stuck in a cycle of overindulging, and I want moms who struggle with it to know that there’s a way out and there’s no shame or judgement,” she says.

After completing additional programs to specialize in coaching, and specifically coaching for alcohol abuse, Alison was ready to open her business.

Helping struggling Moms

“From my experience, many moms don’t make themselves a priority,” Alison says. “They are putting everything and everyone else before them and it’s such an overlooked area.” 

The areas that Alison works with clients on are nutrition, exercise, sleep, self care, mindset, and purpose beyond parenting. She says, “My overall goal for my clients is to have them open to trying new things and to make themselves a priority and have a desire and vision of embracing a happier and healthier life.”

Alison loves being able to witness her client’s growth and positive transformation from start to finish. Her favorite thing about her job is being able to support other moms in living healthier lives.

“The other thing too is that a mom that makes the shift to living a healthier lifestyle can be an even better role model for their kids,” she says.

You can reach Alison on her website at The Healthy Mom Coach and follow her on Instagram here.

By Gillian Turner, Social Media & PR Specialist

Disclosure of Material Connection: I am the social media & PR specialist for the American College of Healthcare Sciences, the Institution that publishes this blog. However, all opinions are my own. This blog may contain affiliate links. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent disease. This article has not been reviewed by the FDA. Always consult with your primary care physician or naturopathic doctor before making any significant changes to your health and wellness routine.

About American College of Healthcare Sciences

American College founded in 1978, is a fully online accredited institute of higher education specializing in holistic health. Based in Portland, OR; our goal is to make research-driven and science-based holistic health education taught by industry-leading experts accessible to anyone anywhere while still giving students a hands-on experiential learning experience like a traditional college and a strong sense of community, school pride and student bond.

This commitment to our students and graduates reflects in our current survey results that reflect 98% of our students would recommend ACHS to a friend or family member.

We believe education is the most powerful tool for changing an individual and the world around us.

When a person enrolls as ACHS, it is vitally important that they graduate with tools they need to forge their own holistic and sustainable missions, build up their communities confidently and changing the face of healthcare with knowledge.