This course provides essential oil materia medica training including the therapeutic uses, active constituents, methods of administration, and cautions and contraindications for each of the oils studied. Materia medica training includes botanical information, identification, sources, historical uses, parts used, cultivation, harvesting, production, characteristics, active constituents, therapeutic actions, medicinal uses, evidence-based uses, household uses, and perfumery. It is recommended that students also complete AROMA 303 to study the full complement of essential oils taught at ACHS.
Required Course Pack:
- ACHS eTextbook: Petersen, D. (2016). Aromatherapy Materia Medica: Essential Oil Monographs. Portland, OR: American College of Healthcare Sciences. [You should already have this from the AROMA 303 course. Students will have access to download the eTextbook in the online classroom] (Optional: Printed copy available for an additional fee)
- AROMA 304 Practical Lab Kit:
- This practical lab kit includes the following certified organic or sustainably wildcrafted essential oils: Yarrow Achillea millefolium, Marjoram Origanum majorana, Vetiver Vetiveria zizanioides*, Thyme Thymus vulgaris*, Spearmint Mentha spicata, Patchouli Pogostemon cablin, Oregano Origanum vulgare, Nutmeg Myristica fragrans, Niaouli Melaleuca quinquenervia, Marjoram Origanum majorana, Jasmine Absolute Jasminum officinale, Immortelle Helichrysum italicum
- This practical lab kit also contains the following raw ingredients and practical lab supplies: 8 oz Sweet Almond Oil, 2 oz Sweet Almond Oil, 2 oz Cobalt Blue Bottle with White Spray Mister (Qty 2), 2 oz Fine Mineral Bath Salts, 2 oz Coarse Mineral Bath Salts, 1/2 oz White Clay For Bath Salts Kit, 2 oz Lavandin Hydrosol in Cobalt Spray Bottle, Nasal Inhaler (Qty 3-colors may vary), 2 oz Lavender Hydrosol in Cobalt Spray Bottle, Jasmine Perfume Oil, 4 oz Epsom Salts, 2 oz Corn Starch, 2 oz Corn Meal, 4 oz Cocoa Butter, 2 oz Citric Acid, 4 oz Beeswax, 4 oz Baking Soda, 2 oz Apricot Kernel Oil, 2 oz Anhydrous Lanolin, 8 oz Cobalt Square Jar with White Lid, Scent Trekker Diffuser, 4 oz Medium Round Stainless Tin
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR)
*May not be included in all kits due to availability; please review your materials to verify oils received.
View the required textbooks for this class, including ISBN, edition, and retail price, by visiting our Required Textbooks page.
Total Course Price:
View the total course price including tuition, fees, course materials, and shipping online here.
Last updated 11/4/19