Note: This course was previously called ENG 100 College Writing, Research Literacy and Critical Thinking.
PHL 201 Think Smarter! Strengthening Reasoning and Writing Skills is an introductory course to help you build the writing, research, and critical thinking skills necessary for academic and professional success. This course is organized into three sections, and each section presents a specific group of skills that builds on the previous section.
The first section, Modules 1 through 5, focuses on writing skills. Through a series of engaging exercises you will fine-tune the basic writing skills needed to succeed in college and in professional communications. Topics include: the parts of a sentence, how to craft a sentence, grammar basics, punctuation, capitalization, and common writing mistakes.
The second section, Modules 6 through 10, focuses on research skills. The course reading, online lectures, and exercises introduce the steps for developing a strong research topic, how to locate content on the Web, and guidelines for assessing the quality of content on the Web. You will learn how to use a variety of research tools to delve into a topic of your choice in-depth, and will learn how to correctly document the research you locate.
The third and final section, Modules 11 through 15, focuses on critical thinking skills. In this section you will learn specific strategies to help you use the process of critical thinking to refine your reading, research, and writing habits and skills.
This course is ideal for students interested in:
- Fine-tuning their writing skills to support academic studies
- Professional goals that include written communications, such as marketing materials, advertisements, brochures, articles, lectures, websites, and social media
- Increasing their knowledge of online research and research tools
- Increasing their critical thinking skills to support their academic studies
- A foundation for advanced training
- A foundation for career training
Maximum Enrollment: 30 students
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials (or Course Pack) cost—including standard shipping within the United States—is $139. This includes:
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR) - $115
The Required Publisher Textbook:*
- Browne, M.N. & Keeley, S.M. (2018). Asking the Right Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking (12th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc. ISBN: 9780134431994***
- Fogarty, M. (2011). Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students. New York: Henry Holt and Company. ISBN# 9780805089448**
- Hock, R. (2013). The Extreme Searcher’s Internet Handbook: A Guide for the Serious Searcher. (4th ed.). Information Today, Inc. ISBN# 9781937290023**
Total Course Price: $975 (3 credits x $325 per credit) + $139 Course Pack + $124.94 Textbook = $1238.94
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
* You may always elect to buy or rent your textbooks/ebooks new or used. However, when choosing to purchase college textbooks and supplementary materials outside the College store, please use caution to ensure you purchase the correct version of required materials.
** This textbook is also available as a Kindle eBook from amazon.com.
*** This textbook is only available as an eBook ISBN: 9780134431994 $27.99, in Kindle format. Please contact the Apothecary Shoppe at firstname.lastname@example.org to purchase an access code for this book.
- Expert faculty with real-world professional experience in each course
- All instruction and evaluation, including weekly interaction with your instructor through the online classroom, live teleconferences and/or chats, email, and the Instructor’s Virtual Office
- Dynamic online lectures updated regularly to include the latest evidence-based research and industry updates
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online.
Optional Recommended Reading & Study Kits
Click here to view the Recommended Reading for this course.
Last updated 2/5/18