Holistic nutrition is the foundation to any natural health lifestyle plan for optimal health. This course covers CAM topics in nutrition, such as “nutritionism” and the Western diet, detoxification, fasting and elimination and juice therapies, acid-alkaline balance, raw foods, and a detailed look at food labeling.
These issues in nutrition will be reviewed using contemporary authors, such as Michael Pollan (In Defense of Food), Elson Haas (The New DeTox Diet), Christopher Vasey (The Acid Alkaline Diet for Optimal Health) and Kimberly Lord Stewart (Eating Between the Lines).
Upon successful completion of this course, each student will be able to:
- Discuss the evolution of our modern supermarket-based food system, how it impacts health, and how to help people move away from it.
- Evaluate and discuss the concept of fasting and detoxification.
- Discuss the use of fresh juices to support cleansing.
- List and evaluate the steps of the detox diet.
- Discuss and evaluate acid-alkaline theory and list the steps to an alkaline diet.
- Recognize and discuss the labeling of different classes of food including meat, poultry, dairy, grains, oils, snack food, and soda.
- Explain the standards for calling a food organic.
- Discuss the dietary and social implications of tea and coffee production.
Maximum Enrollment: 30 students
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials cost (Course Pack)—including standard shipping within the United States—is $119. This includes:
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR) - $99
The Required Publisher Textbooks*:
- Haas, E. & Chace, D. (2012). The Detox Diet: The Definitive Guide for Lifelong Vitality with Recipes, Menus, and Detox Plans (3rd ed.). Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press. ISBN: 9781607743255** $16.99
- Pollan, M. (2008). In Defense of Food. New York, NY: Penguin Books. ISBN: 9780143114963** $16
- Stewart, K.L. (2007). Eating Between the Lines. New York, NY: St. Martin's Griffin. ISBN: 9780312347741** $23
- Vasey, C. (2006). The Acid-Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health (2nd ed.). Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press. ISBN: 9781594771545** $12.95
Total Course Price: $975 (3 credits x $325 per credit) + $119 Course Pack + $68.94 Textbooks = $1162.94
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
* You may always elect to buy or rent your textbooks/ebooks new or used. However, when choosing to purchase college textbooks and supplementary materials outside the College store, please use caution to ensure you purchase the correct version of required materials.
** This textbook is also available as a Kindle eBook from amazon.com.
- Expert faculty with real-world clinical experience in each course
- All instruction and evaluation, including weekly interaction with your instructor through the online classroom, live teleconferences and/or chats, email, and the Instructor’s Virtual Office
- Dynamic online lectures updated regularly to include the latest evidence-based research and industry updates
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online.