Herb 201 is designed for students interested in increasing their knowledge of natural health, herbal medicine, and nutrition to improve their health and that of their family as well as move forward with advanced herbal training and choose a career in the natural health industry if desired.
Upon successful completion of this course, each student will be able to:
- Identify and use herbal and nutritional support for good health.
- Create herbal blends and products, from ointments to fomentations.
- Relate types of herbs to the system they most affect.
- Describe why herbal medicine works, with reference to the active constituents of herbs.
- Identify key components of protocols for a healthy lifestyle, including potential problem areas.
- Know when not to use home remedies.
- Use and understand the language of herbal therapeutic actions from alternatives to vulnerary herbs.
- Discuss the history of herbal medicine.
- Use medicinal plants with confidence, including: Burdock, dandelion, evening primrose, fennel, garlic, ginger, licorice, motherwort, red clover, and thyme.
Maximum Enrollment: 30 students
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials (or Course Pack) cost—including standard shipping within the United States—is $404.23. This includes:
- ACHS eTextbook: Petersen, D. (2015). HERB 201: Herbal Studies.
Portland, OR: American College of Healthcare Sciences. - $125
(Optional: Printed copy available for an additional $101)
- Online Materials and Library Resouces (OMLR) - $99
- Access to the Wonderful Weeds Online Video
- Herb 201 Practical Lab Kit - $27.66
- Herb 201 Herb Kit a selection of 25 organic herbs in 1-oz quantities. - $116.24
- ACHS Double-Walled Glass Tea Tumbler - $7.33
The Required Publisher Textbook*:
Total Course Price: $975 (3 credits X $325 per credit) + $404.23 Course Pack + $60 Textbook = $1439.23
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
* You may always elect to buy or rent your textbooks/ebooks new or used. However, when choosing to purchase college textbooks and supplementary materials outside the College store, please use caution to ensure you purchase the correct version of required materials.
** This textbook is also available as a Kindle eBook from amazon.com.
- Access to the interactive, instructor-led, Herb 201 online classroom.
- Online lectures updated with the latest information and applicable research.
- Regular tests designed to enhance your understanding as well as assess your learning to date.
- Ongoing, instructor-led and peer-to-peer discussions for each module to enhance your learning and connect you with your fellow students, all of whom are adult learners from varying walks of life, enriching your learning experience. Add to discussions 24/7, giving you flexibility to work in with your busy lifestyle.
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online
Click here to view the Recommended Reading for this course.
Last updated 06/10/16