Understanding medical terminology is much like understanding a foreign language. Knowing the origin of medical terms and the meaning of specific letter combinations helps practitioners communicate more effectively with other healthcare professionals as well as their clients. Medical terminology is the discourse of the healthcare field.
This course trains students to understand the origin of medical terms, pronunciation and the meaning of unusual letter combinations and related anatomy and physiology. This course is perfect for holistic health practitioners of all kind who want to expand their medical vocabulary and be able to communicate with primary care physicians and other healthcare professionals.
Upon successful completion of this course, each student will be able to:
- State the derivation of most healthcare terms and recognize the types of healthcare terms.
- Use the rules given to build, spell, and pronounce healthcare terms.
- Recognize the most common forms in a medical record and specify what type of information is included in them.
- Recognize the most common healthcare disciplines and their associated specialists.
- Recognize and use terms associated with the organization of the body, positional and directional vocabulary, planes of the body, pathology, therapeutic interventions, and related anatomy and physiology.
Required Materials (Course Pack)
The Required Materials (or Course Pack) cost—including standard shipping within the United States—is $119. This includes:
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR) - $99
The Required Publisher Textbooks*:
- Shiland, B. (2016). Mastering Healthcare Terminology (5th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby. ISBN# 9780323298582** $78.95
Total Course Price: $975 (3 credits x $325 per credit) + $119 Course Pack + $78.95 Textbook = $1172.95
Does not include Registration Fee, which is $200 per program or $30 per credit if enrolling in single courses.
*You may always elect to buy or rent your textbooks/ebooks new or used. However, when choosing to purchase college textbooks and supplementary materials outside the College store, please use caution to ensure you purchase the correct version of required materials.
**This textbook is also available as an eBook ISBN: 9780323298636 $63.16.
- Expert faculty with real-world clinical experience in each course
- All instruction and evaluation, including weekly interaction with your instructor through the online classroom, live teleconferences and/or chats, email, and the Instructor’s Virtual Office
- Dynamic online lectures updated regularly to include the latest evidence-based research and industry updates
- Bonus: Access to the ACHS Wellness Guide Online.