Update from ACHS Leadership
Information about the coronavirus (COVID-19) is evolving daily. American College of Healthcare Sciences (ACHS) leadership is closely monitoring developments with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization, and our integrative health and wellness industry partners.
As an integrative health and wellness college and as engaged global citizens, we believe it is our responsibility to prioritize the health and safety of our students, graduates, staff, and faculty as well as the wellness of our global community by supporting efforts to take action to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and promote education about prevention.
We have provided more information below regarding the prevention measures we are engaged in, and we will continue to provide updates on this web page and on the institution's Facebook page online here as new information is available.
Dorene Petersen | ACHS President and Founder
ACHS Prevention Measures
Out of an abundance of caution, ACHS has taken the following prevention measures:
- Implemented enhanced hygiene protocols on-campus and distributed information about prevention protocols.
- Expanded paid leave in the event of self- or mandated-quarantine to ensure employees do not come to work sick.
- Enacted travel restrictions - All business travel has been cancelled through May 31, 2020, pending further developments.
- Regrettably, ACHS has canceled the in-person component of the 2020 Commencement Ceremony; an online live-streamed commencement ceremony will continue to be offered as planned on June 19, 2020. All graduates will also be invited to walk in the 2021 ACHS Commencement Ceremony.
We feel strongly that team members should remain local while information about the virus is developing in the interest of everyone’s health and safety. While we understand the hardship this places on event organizers, we believe this is the best decision for our stakeholders. We encourage event organizers to carefully consider whether moving forward with large gatherings is in the best interest of attendees at this time.
During this time, ACHS is committed to continuing to support our higher education and integrative health and wellness communities and has pledged the following support to mitigate the impact of travel restrictions and event cancellations:
- Offering free use of the institution’s web conferencing tools to support the broadcast of planned conference sessions and hosting of virtual meetings planned at industry events where ACHS had planned to attend.
- Collaborating with other colleges and universities to provide online class options to help students affected by temporary school closures avoid an immediate interruption in studies.
We are also continuing to seek opportunities with industry partners and integrative health experts to contribute to emerging research and best practices for prevention and promoting wellness.
Wellness Support for COVID-19
We have received many questions about holistic protocols that may support the prevention of COVID-19. At this time, there is no definitive research on essential oils or botanicals with proven efficacy at this time. It is also important to remain aware of federal guidelines and safety best practices related to the use of natural products. We’ve specifically received several questions regarding the use of essential oils. We will share more information as it becomes available, and welcome crowd-sourcing information and research gathering via our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ACHSedu/ or by clicking the button below.
In the meantime, you can view ACHS’s guidance on essential oil safety and best practices by downloading our Aromatherapy Safety ebook by clicking here or on the button below.
Last updated March 12, 2020.