Aromatherapy has become an increasingly popular modality in complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), particularly in an integrated medical setting due to its ability to enhance quality of life for a wide range of clients. This graduate level survey course provides students with an in-depth analysis of the fundamental principles of aromatherapy, aromatology, and aromacology. We will examine the major categories of aromatherapy, aromatology and aromacology including definitions, selected proven and unproven effects of essential oils citing research literature, historical perspective, essential oil components and bioactivity, the science of smell and psychological effects, safety issues and clinical studies. Plant photographs and interactive exercises help to bring the concepts to life for visually-oriented and kinesthetic learners.
Required Materials (Course Pack)
- ACHS eTextbook: Petersen, D. (2016). Aromatherapy Materia Medica: Essential Oil Monographs. Portland, OR: American College of Healthcare Sciences. (Optional: Printed copy available for an additional fee)
- AROMA 501 Practical Lab Kit:
- This practical lab kit contains the following certified organic or sustainably wildcrafted essential oils: Bergamot Citrus aurantium var bergamia, Chamomile Roman Chamaemelum nobile, Clary Sage Salvia sclarea, Eucalyptus Globulus Eucalyptus globulus, Eucalyptus smithii Eucalyptus smithii, Lavandin Lavandula intermedia, Lavender Lavandula angustifolia, Lemon Citrus limonum, Lemon Eucalyptus Eucalyptus citriodora, Rosemary Rosmarinus officinalis, Sweet Orange Citrus sinensis, Tea Tree Australia Melaleuca alternifolia, Tea Tree New Zealand Leptospermum scoparium, Ylang Ylang Cananga odorata
- This practical lab kit also contains the following raw ingredients and practical lab supplies: 25 ml glass beaker & glass stirring rod, 3 ml disposable pipettes (Qty 15), Perfume Testing Strips (Qty 26), 5 ml amber bottle, 5 ml Sweet Almond Oil base oil
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR)
View the required textbooks for this class, including ISBN, edition, and retail price, by visiting our Required Textbooks page.
Total Course Price:
View the total course price including tuition, fees, course materials, and shipping online here.
Last updated 11/4/19