Nutrition Professional Pathways
If you are interested in pursuing a career in nutrition or dietetics, you should consult with the appropriate state board to assure that your credentials will allow you to achieve your professional goals. Many states have enacted laws that regulate the practice of dietetics and nutrition services.
In some states, it is a violation of state law to practice “dietetics” without a license; while in other states, it is illegal only if an unlicensed practitioner calls him/herself a “dietitian” or “nutritionist.” The nutrition-related services allowed or prohibited in your state must be determined by careful review of the language of your state’s law, and we recommend seeking legal guidance from a law professional in your state.
Download ACHS’s Nutrition Disclosures White Paper online here for additional information.
Following is more information about industry exams and registration in holistic nutrition. This information is provided for reference only. Please contact the professional organizations directly for the latest information.
ACHS offers programs perfect for anyone at any step of their education and career journey.
Want to learn more about professional pathways? Contact the ACHS Director of Alumni and Career Services Amy Swinehart or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP)
NANP Exam – Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition®Exam Eligibility Requirements:
- Meet the NANP’s educational standards. This means successful completion of studies in holistic nutrition from a NANP approved holistic nutrition program (ACHS’s approved programs are listed below) OR providing documentation of an occupational certification, degree or diploma that meets the NANP’s educational standards (requires independent review and a $150 fee).
- Professional membership in the NANP.
- Provide documentation of 500 hours (includes a minimum of 250 direct contact hours and up to 250 indirect contact hours) of professional experience in holistic nutrition.
- Diploma in Holistic Health Practice
- Associate of Applied Science in Complementary Alternative Medicine
- Associate of Applied Science in Health & Wellness
- Master of Science in Holistic Nutrition
- Master of Science in Health and Wellness
- Master of Science in Complementary Alternative Medicine.
NANP - Certified Nutrition Professional
The NANP also offers the following additional level of certification titled, “Certified Nutrition Professional” or “CNP”.
To qualify, the following criteria must be met:
- All requirements of Board Certification; AND
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in nutrition or a nutrition-related field of study from a NANP approved holistic nutrition program, OR a college or university regionally or nationally accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education; AND
- 1,200 Supervised Practice Hours*
NANP Continuing Education (CEU) Requirements
Ready to advance your career in nutrition?