Our Favorite Tips For Stress Management | achs.edu

Aug 28, 2020 11:21:35 AM | stress relief Our Favorite Tips For Stress Management | achs.edu

ACHS staff and faculty share what they do in their daily lives to manage stress.

pexels-pixabay-160636

Image of person walking in forest| pexels.com

All of us have felt stress at some point, especially during this COVID-19 pandemic when so many things about the future are up in the air. As Stress Management Week at ACHS comes to an end, I want to share some stress management tips from our wonderful staff and faculty. I hope you enjoy it and are able to try some of these tips yourself!

Here are the stress management tips that our staff and faculty use in their own lives:

Going for a walk everyday if possible and getting out into the fresh air with my mask on of course :) and prior to my walk, spritzing my mask with my current favorite ACHS blend of essential oils: The Hanu Blend that contains lavender, peppermint, grapefruit and ginger - yum :)  -  Dorene, President

After work 3 times a week I go for a 4-5 mile run.  It helps that there are a lot of puppies on the trail that want loves… So perhaps the real answer is finding lots of puppies. ;) Either way, it's a nice way to let the day go after work and just focus on one thing that is completable, repetitive, and yields results. - Joel, Student Services

stress management quote drink green tea and take a walk

I try to reserve a bit of time each morning to do a few stretches, and again in the afternoon. During this time I attempt to clear my mind and meditate for a bit. I find that this technique helps me focus on upcoming tasks, which makes me feel less stressed due to being more mentally prepared. - Andy, Marketing
Having as many low calorie, nutritionally sound, seasonally appropriate snacks as possible to eat in between chatting with students! Watermelon, cantaloupe, apples, grapes from my vines, kale and tomatoes from my garden are some favorites right now. - Natalie, Dean of Students

stress management blog quotes margaret lapierre

Adequate sleep, including napping on my lunch break if needed! A nature walk before work is one of the best ways to start my day too. I switch between sitting and standing at my desk. I try to stay hydrated, take my vitamins and I usually have a cup of tea keeping me company all day! Meditation, Journaling and having a therapist has helped with keeping stress down as well! -Chelsea, Admissions Advisor
Music! Having Music on during my work day helps reduce stress and brings me joy throughout the day -Liz, Dean of Admissions

stress-management-quote-connect-with-nature-plants

I use aromatherapy for a quick pick-me-up during the day combined with stretching or a burst of cardio between meetings like a minute of jumping jacks :) One of my favorite essential oils right now is peppermint which I also use to give myself a light neck/shoulder massage to re-energize. I mix 2-3 drops of  the essential oil with a base oil I have on hand such as jojoba, camelia, or sweet almond; a roll-on with sweet almond oil and peppermint is also handy. - Tracey, COO
Listening to Enya, Celtic or Irish music with the aromatherapy mist on. Cats in the “office” help tremendously :) Tanja, Executive Assistant

Java Cat copy

Pictured: One of Tanja's cats, Java.

I enjoy waking up early in the morning before work and going for a morning run/walk or doing an exercise routine. Gets my mind rolling and focused. - Ashley, Librarian
I create fun playlists of music to have on in the background, if I need something a bit more mellow or without words I will use Apple Music’s “Relaxing or Sleeping Sounds” and make a playlist of: ocean waves, rain, storms, river sounds, it’s great to hear nature even when you’re in the middle of the city! - Erin, Apothecary Shoppe Manager

What about you? What are your favorite tips for stress management? Let us know in the comments.

New call-to-action

Disclosure of Material Connection: I am the social media coordinator for the American College of Healthcare Sciences, the Institution that publishes this blog. However, all opinions are my own. This blog may contain affiliate links. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 

This article is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent disease. This article has not been reviewed by the FDA. Always consult with your primary care physician or naturopathic doctor before making any significant changes to your health and wellness routine. 

About American College of Healthcare Sciences

American College founded in 1978, is a fully online accredited institute of higher education specializing in holistic health. Based in Portland, OR; our goal is to make research-driven and science-based holistic health education taught by industry-leading experts accessible to anyone anywhere while still giving students a hands-on experiential learning experience like a traditional college and a strong sense of community, school pride and student bond.

This commitment to our students and graduates reflects in our current survey results that reflect 98% of our students would recommend ACHS to a friend or family member.

We believe education is the most powerful tool for changing an individual and the world around us. 

When a person enrolls as ACHS, it is vitally important that they graduate with tools they need to forge their own holistic and sustainable missions, build up their communities confidently and changing the face of healthcare with knowledge.

For more information visit achs.edu.

Gillian Turner

Written By: Gillian Turner

Gillian joined ACHS after graduating from Linfield College with a BA in Mass Communication and a minor in visual studies. She grew up off the grid in rural southern Oregon and spent time exploring the forest surrounding her house and teaching gardening classes to other children in her garden. While at Linfield, Gillian gained valuable experience in public relations, social media management, and digital art. She was awarded a strategic communication scholarship and inducted into Kappa Tau Alpha, a national college honor society “that recognizes academic excellence and promotes scholarship in journalism and mass communication.” When not at work, Gillian can most often be found making art, enjoying nature or drinking coffee with her husband, Preston. Her interests include sustainability, mental wellness, and trying to stay connected to nature while living in the city. She studied abroad at the National University of Ireland, Galway, and has traveled to over ten different countries. Her favorite place that she has visited is the Scottish Highlands, and she hopes to visit many more countries in the future.