This course provides essential oil materia medica training including the therapeutic uses, active constituents, methods of administration, and cautions and contraindications for each of the oils studied. Materia medica training includes botanical information, identification, sources, historical uses, parts used, cultivation, harvesting, production, characteristics, active constituents, therapeutic actions, medicinal uses, evidence-based uses, household uses, and perfumery. It is recommended that students also complete AROMA 304 to study the full complement of essential oils taught at ACHS.
Required Course Pack:
- ACHS eTextbook: Petersen, D. (2016). Aromatherapy Materia Medica: Essential Oil Monographs. Portland, OR: American College of Healthcare Sciences.
(Optional: Printed copy available for an additional fee)
- AROMA 303 Practical Lab Kit:
- This kit includes the following certified organic or sustainably wildcrafted essential oils: Anise Pimpinella anisum; Basil ct. Linalool Ocimum basilicum, Bay Laurus nobilis, Benzoin Resinoid, Black Pepper Piper nigrum, Cajuput Melaleuca leucadendron, Carrot Seed Daucus carota, Cedarwood Atlas Cedrus atlantica, Cedarwood Virginia Juniperus virginiana, Cinnamon Cinnamomum zeylanicum, Cistus Cistus ladaniferus, Clove Bud Syzygium aromaticum, Coriander Coriandrum sativum, Cypress Cupressus sempervirens, Elemi Canarium luzonicum, Fennel Sweet Foeniculum vulgare var., Fir Needle Abies balsamea, Garlic Allium sativum, Grapefruit Citrus paradisi
- This kit also contains the following raw ingredients and practical lab supplies: 1/2 oz White Clay, 1 oz Benzoin Powder Styrax tonkinensis, 2 oz Coarse Mineral Bath Salts, 4 oz Epsom Salts, 4 oz Sweet Almond Oil, 2 oz Apricot Kernel Oil, 2 oz Cobalt Blue Bottle (Qty 2)
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR)
View the required textbooks for this class, including ISBN, edition, and retail price, by visiting our Required Textbooks page.
Total Course Price:
View the total course price including tuition, fees, course materials, and shipping online here.
Last updated 10/26/20