This graduate course focuses on principles of complementary and alternative therapies in relation to diseases of specific body systems. The varied techniques and modalities that a CAM practitioner employs are covered such as aromatherapy, homeopathy, dynamic phytotherapy, herbal medicine, dietary supplements, reflexology, cell salts, color therapy, nutrition and lifestyle changes. Studies show that anywhere up to 42% of the American population use CAM protocols on a regular basis. As such, anyone working in the health care industry, whether as a practitioner, scholar, educator, and advocate, needs to broaden their education to include evidence-based CAM.
It is important to remember that the desired outcome of any holistic health or CAM protocol to increase the natural vitality of the client and bring the system back into balance. The student will examine the belief fundamental to CAM that the human body contains a strong power to heal itself, which is also known as vital energy or vitalism. While examining this belief, students also look at how the CAM practitioner is able to stimulate this power by educating each client in how to maintain health once it is achieved, increasing vitality and building up one’s resistance through improved nutrition and a harmonious lifestyle.
Nat 504 Practical Lab kit:
- Capsule Machine with tamper size "00"
- Vegi capsules 100qty
- (2) 1oz herbs that may vary depending on availability
- (14) 1 oz herbs that you will use to make teas and infusions and other herb practicals, herbs will change based on availability.
- (5) 5ml bottles of these essential oils: Lemon Citrus limonum, (2) 1 oz herbs that may vary depending on availability
- 5 ml bottles of the following Certified Organic essential oils: Lemon Citrus limonum, Grapefruit Citrus paradisi, Sweet orange Citrus sinensis, Lavender Lavandula angustifolia, Eucalyptus Eucalyptus globulus, Rosemary Rosmarinus officinalis, Tea Tree Australia Melaleuca alternifolia, Juniper Berry Juniperus communis, Ginger Zingiber officinale, Clove Bud Syzygium aromaticum
- 2 oz ml sweet almond oil (1)
- 25 ml glass beaker with stirring rod (1)
- Disposable pipettes (6)
- 2 oz plastic spray bottles (2)
- 1 ml bottles for blend storage (3)
- 1 ml roll-on bottles (3)
- Nasal Inhaler
- Essential Oil Fragrance Description Chart and two recipes
- Online Materials and Library Resources (OMLR)
View the required textbooks for this class, including ISBN, edition, and retail price, by visiting our Required Textbooks page.
Total Course Price:
View the total course price including tuition, fees, course materials, and shipping online here.
Last updated 8/21/20
None - Prior or concurrent anatomy & physiology training is recommended